|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Fulmerston's Almshouses, Old Bury Road|
Fulmerston's Almshouses were constructed in 1610. They are built from cut and galletted flint, with ashlar blocks and stone quoins, red brick openings and a tile roof. Two plaques have been fixed to the exterior. One notes the foundation of the building by Sir Richard Fulmerston in 1610 while the other quotes text from Hebrews 12 verse 14. The building also retains a sundial on the south gable. The almshouses were extensively altered in the late 19th century, but had been abandoned by 1967. In 1968 the building was restored and converted for use as sheltered accommodation.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8682 8285|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Almshouses - Ordnance Survey antiquity.
Built in 1610. Empty in 1967.
E. Rose (NAU).
April 1951. Listed. Listing updated ca. 2004?
Sheltered housing. Listing Grade II* describes the building as cut and galletted flint with ashlar blocks and stone quoins, red brick dressings surrounding openings, and plain tile roofs. Single storey, symmetrial layout with two doors in the centre and one at each end. Four three-light trefoil headed lancets with didamond-leaded glazing between the doors. Hoodmoulds to all openings. Two plaques are located between the centre pair of doors: one notes the foundation of the building by Sir Richard Fulmerston in 1610, while the other has text from Hebrews 12 v14. Central twin diamond-flued ridge stack and single diamond-flued internal gable-end stacks. Remains of a sundial on the south gable. Much
altered in the late 19th century and restored in 1968.
E. Rose (NLA) 29 March 1994.
Updated H. Hamilton (NLA), 28 July 2008.
The building was damaged by a vehicle collision. The article mistakenly states that the building was constructed in 1518.
See (S2) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA) 6 March 2000.
- ALMSHOUSE (17th Century to Late 20th Century - 1610 AD to 1967 AD)
- SHELTERED ACCOMMODATION (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1968 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TL 88 SE 60 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 720. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1279468. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. Widow is lucky to escape lorry smash. 6 March. |
Related records - none
Find out more...