|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Late Saxon road|
A Late Saxon road running roughly northwest to southeast was recorded in 1948-9 during excavations by G. Knocker (NHER 5847). Further sections of Late Saxon road were recorded to the south in 1952 (NHER 5758, and it has been suggested that the excavated segments may have formed part of a continuous northwest-southeast road.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8668 8249|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1948-9 and 1952. Excavations. G. Knocker Site 2 North, Site 2 South and Site 6.
A flint road of Late Saxon date running north-northwest to south-southeast was recorded during excavations. See NHER 5847 and NHER 5758 for further details.
See (S1) for further details.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Updated H. Hamilton (NLA), 27 August 2008.
Marking on excavated site at northwest end by R. R. Clarke (NCM) not strictly accurate (due to new roads not then being on Ordnance Survey) - see site plans in publication (S1). There seems to be no record of how R. R. Clarke (NCM) plotted the majority of the road outside the excavated areas, but presumably this is a joining up of Knocker's 'probings' the locations of which are not recorded.
For actual excavations of road see NHER 5847 and 5758.
E. Rose (NAU) 5 December 1984.
The route of the road within the excavated areas has been corrected. However the course in between the excavated areas, from TL 8657 8259 to TL 8680 8243, remains as it was plotted by R. R. Clarke.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 27 August 2008.
- ROAD (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Thetford. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Rogerson, A. and Dallas, C. 1984. Excavations in Thetford 1948-59 and 1973-80. East Anglian Archaeology. No 22. |
|5847||Part of: Area of Saxon town with occupation and pottery/metalwork production sites, St Mary's Estate (Monument)|
|5758||Part of: Site of Saxon Town on the Primary School Grounds, Hilary Road (Monument)|
Find out more...