|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Middle/Late Saxon copper ally pin, River Ouse|
In about 1943 a bronze pin with a facetted head with ring and dot decoration was dredged from the River Ouse. This pin was likely of Middle or Late Saxon date.
Images - none
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
About June 1943. 'Dedged out of River Little Ouse above the Nunnery'.
Bronze pin with facetted head with ring and dot decoration, 7cm (2.75in) long (see for comparison pin at Whitby Monastery).
Pin held by Thetford Museum, previously held by H. T. Green.
Information from H. T. Green 1943.
Card by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Described in (S1) as of common Middle Saxon or Late Saxon form, decoration on twelve faces but top plain. However the words 'above the Nunnery' are omitted from the findspot and the grid reference  given, is at Knettishall/Riddlesworth - this must be a mistake but where did the reference come from?
E. Rose (NAU) 25 January 1985.
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- PIN (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- PIN (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Early Saxon. Thetford. |
|<S1>||Serial: East Anglian Archaeology. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 22, p 69, no 45, fig 11. |
Related records - none
Find out more...