|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Church of St Ethelbert, Upper Close|
The site of St Ethelbert's church which was likely founded in the Late Saxon period. St Ethelbert's was situated in what is now the front garden of number 6 The Close.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23449 08742|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
In front garden of Number 6, Upper Close.
Inferred to be pre 1100; taken into close 1096.
Dedication probably pre Norman, also known as St Alberts, was burned down in the riot of 1272 AD.
- CHAPEL (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No N14; p 175. |
|---||Monograph: Blomefield, F. 1806. The History of The City and County of Norwich, Part II. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk. Vol IV. p 54. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 24. |
|---||Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...