Record Details

NHER Number:575
Type of record:Building
Name:St Augustine's Church, St Augustine's Street, Norwich

Summary

A parish church, on the site of an earlier church, dating to the 14th, 15th and 18th centuries, of flint with stone and brick dressings. It has a brick west tower and a lead roof, with a pantiled chancel. The nave and chancel both have north and south aisles, with a rood turret against the north aisle.The three-stage brick tower was built in 1726 after the previous tower collapsed. There is a single storey south porch.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 22879 09471
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

St Augustine's Church, St Augustine's Street.

?Pre 1100 on architectural grounds. 'Nave has Saxon proportions' (S1).
R. R. Clarke (NCM).
Not noted in Taylor and Taylor.

Rectors recorded from 1303.

1954. Listed Grade I.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Parish church. 14th, 15th and 18th century. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Brick tower. Lead roof, plain tile to chancel. West tower. Nave and chancel both with north and south aisles. South porch. Rood turret against north aisle. Three-stage brick tower built in 1726."
Information from (S2).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 17 January 2018. Amended by H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.
Three bells were given to Carleton Rode church in 1998.

1970s or 1980s. Building Survey.
Examined as part of Norwich Survey.
See draft report (S3) and brief note (S4) for further details. The author of the latter is unknown, although it would appear to suggest that the original draft report was the work of Alan Carter.
P. Watkins (HES), 17 January 2018.

May 1994. Building Survey.
Examined by the Council for the Care of Churches (CCC) due to possible redundancy.
See report (S5) for further details including notes on the church's setting and history and lists of furnishings, fittings, bells and monuments. See also notes on CCC report by E. Rose (NLA) (S6).
P. Watkins (HES), 17 January 1998.

10 June 1999. Field Observation.
Visit to parapet of church tower.
Two date stones on parapet of tower.
First one consists of four stones set into the outer eastern parapet, consisting (from left to right) of a '1' and a '6' in ancaster limestone, and '8' in clunch and a '7' in ancaster stone. Together they give a date of 1687, in numerals of a typically mid-seventeenth century form. In addition, one of the parapet capping stones (magnesian limestone) also bore the same date, 1687. The rest of the capping stones were a mixture of stone types.
The tower is brick built, in one visible phase, resting on a footing of flint and limestone, which maybe all that remains of the medieval tower. Although it was rebuilt in brick, it retained its late medieval form.
S. Hickling (NAU), 10 June 1999.

Press cuttings (S7) and (S8) in file.

2002.
It is stated in (S9) that the tower is only a brick facing over the original flintwork, but also says the parapet is an addition, which is not correct (see above).
The buttresses and much of the exterior has now been replaced/repaired in the 20th century using post 1770 brickwork.
There was formerly a door in the south wall, now a cupboard internally and visible on the exterior.
The west end of the north aisle floor had been lifted. The boards rested on 19th century sleeper walls which in turn stood on a clay and mortar floor with fragments of undatable brick. This was not disturbed.
An interesting 19th century heating system consisted of a Y-shaped iron pipe encased in large pamments.
The north wall here was stripped revealing a build of flint cobbles and a few bricks.
Removal of a safe from the west respond of the north arcade confirmed this was constructed of plastered brick work.
See photographs of heating system (S10).
E. Rose (NLA), 2 February 2002.

July 2001. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of drainage trenches in churchyard. Medieval sherds found. A small amount of human sketal remains also unearthered - retained by the building contractors for reburial.
See NHER 26588 for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 30 March 2015.

November 2002. Casual Observation.
Human skeletal remains including skull found in St Augustine's churchyard, Norwich, during groundworks by 24-7 looking for power cable severed by works for new footpath.
Not seen. Reinterment advised.
D. Gurney (NLA), 14 November 2002.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. pp 173-174.
---Publication: Messent, C. J. W. 1932. The City Churches of Norwich. p 18.
---Unpublished Document: Guide to The Parish Church of St. Augustine..
---Photograph: Norwich, St Augustines Church. Print.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Article in Serial: Jope, E. M. 1952. Excavations in the City of Norwich, 1948. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 287-323. p 322.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1051896.
<S3>Unpublished Report: [Unknown]. 1984. St Augustine's [draft report].
<S4>Unpublished Document: [Unknown]. 1984. St Augustine's. Interim amendment October 1984.
<S5>Unpublished Report: Council for the Care of Churches. 1994. Norwich, St Augustine, Norfolk (Norwich). PM 1702.
<S6>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 1994. Comments on the CCC Redundancy Report for Norwich St Augustine.
<S7>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Church move saves group. 17 July.
<S8>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. Diocese is urged to halt church decay. 20 July.
<S9>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 232.
<S10>Photograph: Rose, E. (NLA). 2002. KCB 1-3.

Related records

Site 2636Parent of: Church of St Augustine (Monument)
26588Parent of: Medieval finds, St Augustine's Churchyard (Find Spot)
Mon 740Parent of: St Augustine's Church (Monument)
Site 2095Parent of: St Augustine's Church, St Augustine Street (Monument)
Site 2099Parent of: St Augustine's Church, St Augustine Street (Monument)
Mon 632Parent of: St Augustines Churchyard (Monument)
Mon 1446Parent of: St Augustine's Early Church (Monument)
Site 1254Parent of: St. Augustine's Church, St. Augustine Street (Monument)
MNO7634Related to: St. Augustine's Church St. Augustine's Street NORWICH (Revoked)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service