|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Weeting with Broomhill|
St Mary's Church has a round tower, but this is thought to date entirely to the 19th century. It, like the majority of the church, is of flint, and as stands next to a Saxon hall site it is possible that it may have begun as a manorial chapel in the Middle or Late Saxon period. However there is no indication that any work from this period survives, and the earliest feature is some vertical stone in the chancel north wall which dates to the 11th or 12th century. The north aisle and chancel date to the Decorated period, and there are three Perpendicular three-light south windows in the nave, which has a crown-post roof of 1868.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7767 8919|
|Parish:||WEETING WITH BROOMHILL, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
On early site (adjacent Late Saxon manor, away from green) present west chancel and nave northeast quoins date to before 1300, but not otherwise dateable. North aisle arcade early 13th century. Chancel extended around 1340. Nave rebuilt 15th century, aisle and chancel altered in same period. A tower probably collapsed 16th/17th century and nave west wall rebuilt in reused stone.
Church restored late 19th century when new round tower added.
Some good late medieval carved bench ends.
1979 Late Saxon and medieval sherds from graveyard.
See full report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 18 September 2002.
- CHURCH (Late Saxon to 21st Century - 851 AD? to 2100 AD)
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOD SCREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TL7789 H-J. |
|---||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 329. |
|---||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II. |
|---||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1718. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 755-756. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Church theft. 9 December. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2002. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...