|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Neolithic flaked axehead, The Close|
In 1844 a Neolithic flaked axehead was recovered from the Dean's Meadows in The Close. The exact nature and identity of this discovery is unclear.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23945 08866|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
5 July 1844. Found in the Dean's Meadows among soil thrown from the river bed.
Ochreous chipped flint celt, 7 3/4 inches long (30cm).
'More square and flatter'.
In the Bayfields Collection 1844. 
BM Add.Mss. 23.038 pl.135 illustration.
CANCM No.91.pg 9.
Compiled by R. R. Clarke (NCM).
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FLAKED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Neolithic. |
|<S2>||Documentary Source: British Museum Add. Manuscripts. 23,038, p.135. 23, 038, p 135. |
|Site 1232||Parent of: The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
Find out more...