Record Details

NHER Number:46387
Type of record:Building
Name:Nunnery Gateway, Nunnery Drive

Summary

This red brick gateway to the precinct of the Benedictine nunnery of St George (NHER 5892) dates to around 1600. The western face features a rounded archway set within square spandrels formed from a hollow-moulded field. The eastern face has a plain field containing the round arch.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 87184 82270
Map Sheet:TL88SE
Parish:THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
This is the gateway to the precinct of the Benedictine nunnery of St George. It dates to around 1600 and is made from red brick. The western face with rounded archway is set within square spandrels formed from hollow-moulded field. Plain responds. One flanking tapering pilaster to the right and left rises to support a plain frieze. The eastern face has a plain field containing the round arch. Moulded stone string course at respond level.
Information from (S1).

1987. Revised Listing by S. Heywood.
Gateway. Former precinct gateway of about 1600. Brick and stucco, ovolo moulded arch with spandrels; flanking pilasters; stucco moulded string course and cornice on interior. Grade II.
Extracted from Listing by E. Rose (NAU), 7 April 1987.

October 1988. Building Survey.
A detailed survey of the fabric of the standing buildings within the Nunnery grounds was carried out.
See note in secondary file for NHER 5892 (with references to S2) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 05 November 2008.

Monument Types

  • GATE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1207969.
<S2>Illustration: Wilkinson. 1822. Illustrations of Thetford.

Related records

5892Part of: St George's Nunnery (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service