|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Office immediately south of Nunnery Barn, Nuns Bridge Road|
This building was once the chapter house to the Benedictine nunnery of St George (NHER 5892). The nunnery was founded in 1160 but was suppressed in 1540. The building was used for various purposes until it was converted to offices in 1990 by Derek Rogers. The building is made from clunch, limestone and brick. The west wall features an embedded pointed transverse arch from the former quadripartite vault.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 87320 82279|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
This building was once the chapter house to the Benedictine nunnery of St George (NHER 5892). The nunnery was founded in 1160 but was suppressed in 1540. The building was used for various purposes until it was converted to offices in 1990 by Derek Rogers. It is a one storey building made from clunch, limestone and brick under a gabled, pantiled roof. The west wall includes an embedded pointed transverse arch from a former quadripartite vault. The south flank includes windows of 1990.
See (S1) for further details.
September 1985. Site Visit.
Structural remains on the site were examined by A. Rogerson during a brief site visit.
A small building (NHER 46328) investigated to the southeast of the chapel was found to have low ground floor store rooms and a formerly vaulted room above, as shown on old prints in the house.
SEE NHER 5892 FOR FURTHER DETAILS.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 31 October 2008.
1987. Revised Listing by S. Heywood.
Garages south of Nunnery Barn. Possible chapter house. Flint, clunch, brick, re-used ashlar. Some 12th century parts, otherwise late 19th century. The west end gable with two centred arch is possibly the transverse arch of a vault. Grade II.
Extracted from Listing by E. Rose (NAU), 7 April 1987.
October 1988. Building Survey.
A detailed survey of the fabric of the standing buildings within the Nunnery grounds was carried out.
See note in secondary file for NHER 5892 (with references to S2) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 05 November 2008.
- CHAPTER HOUSE (12th Century to 16th Century - 1160 AD to 1540 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval to Late 20th Century - 1540 AD to 1990 AD)
- OFFICE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1990 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Illustration: Wilkinson. 1822. Illustrations of Thetford. |
|5892||Part of: St George's Nunnery (Monument)|
Find out more...