Record Details

NHER Number:48871
Type of record:Building
Name:Walls running south from 1, 2 and 3 Nunnery Cottages


This post medieval kitchen garden wall incorporates earlier ecclesiastical architectural fragments. These pieces include cushion capitals, roll mouldings and chevrons and were likely incorporated into the wall following the dissolution of the adjacent nunnery (NHER 5892).

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 87257 82232
Map Sheet:TL88SE

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Kitchen garden walls. Indeterminate date following dissolution of monasteries. Reused ecclesiastical masonry laid in coursed ashlar blocks. Many 12th century fragments including cushion capitals, roll mouldings and chevron.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA) 30 August 2006.

1987. Revised Listing by S. Heywood.
Wall. Garden wall, post medieval, constructed of re-used material from the Nunnery. Many 12th century cushion capitals, roll mouldings, chevron, voussoirs, etc. Grade II.
Extracted from Listing by E. Rose (NAU), 7 April 1987.

October 1988. Building Survey.
A detailed survey of the fabric of the standing buildings within the Nunnery grounds was carried out.
See note in secondary file for NHER 5892 (with references to S2) for further details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 05 November 2008.

Monument Types

  • WALL (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval to 12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
  • CAPITAL (Medieval to 12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)
  • MOULDING (Medieval to 12th Century - 1100 AD to 1199 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1195913.
<S2>Illustration: Wilkinson. 1822. Illustrations of Thetford.

Related records

5892Part of: St George's Nunnery (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service