Record Details

NHER Number:45328
Type of record:Monument
Name:Marsham Hall Park


A post medieval landscape park associated with Marsham Hall (NHER 25917). It was established by 1797, when its extent was published on Faden's map of Norfolk. Between 1797 and 1826 it was reduced in size, with northern sections put to agricultural use.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 19939 23561
Map Sheet:TG12SE

Full description

A post medieval landscape park associated with Marsham Hall (NHER 25917) appears on Faden's map of 1797 (S1). It is shown as a small polygonal park, confined on at least three sides by roads. The area shown by Faden has been plotted on the GIS map.
Bryant's map of 1826 (S2) shows a smaller park, suggesting the northern sections had been put to agricultural use.
The Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map (S3) shows the park in detail. It is smaller than that shown by Faden and matches the size of the park shown by Bryant. It is roughly triangular with roads to the west and north and field boundaries to the north and south. A northwestern section may have been part of the park, although it was more likely to have been used as the garden of a cottage (now known as Hall Cottage).
Aerial photographs taken in 1988 (S4) show a similar sized park to the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 6 inch map.
D. Robertson (NLA), 16 June 2006.

Monument Types

  • LANDSCAPE PARK (18th Century to 21st Century - 1797 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S4>Vertical Aerial Photograph: BKS Surveys Limited. 1988. BKS Survey of Norfolk.

Related records

25917Part of: Marsham Hall (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service