Record Details

NHER Number:43031
Type of record:Building
Name:Halvergate House


A two storey double pile former farmhouse dating to about 1840. It is built of gault and red brick with a slate roof, and has a northern extension at its east end. The south façade has three window bays and a central six panelled door with a semi circular fanlight. To the east and west of the house are symetrical gault brick garden walls, with gates and semi circular blind brick arches.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 41986 07221
Map Sheet:TG40NW

Full description

February 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Former farmhouse, c.1840, of gault brick and red brick with slate roof. Double pile of two storeys with two storey outshut to north at east end. Facade to south, three bays. Central six panel door with semi-circular fanlight. Timber doorcase with panelled reveals, engaged fluted columns and open pediment with modillions. Outer windows have margin lights. Sash windows with glazing bars, stone sills and flat gauged brick arches. Moulded timber fascia to south, corbel brick eaves elsewhere. Four central chimney stacks with moulded gault brick pots. Hipped roof. Garden gates and blind arcade of semi-circular brick arches in gault brick gardens walls projecting symmetrically to east and west. Stair with carved tread ends, square balusters and wreathed hardwood handrail. Panelled shutters and doors. Moulded architraves. Moulded plaster cornice in front rooms.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 30 January 2006.

Monument Types

  • FARMHOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1840 AD to 2100 AD)
  • GARDEN WALL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1840 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1304640.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service