Record Details

NHER Number:4638
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Petygards


The house here was named after the individual who owned the site in around 1300. A moated house presumably once stood here but the moats now exist as ornamental ponds. The present house stands to the north of these ponds and the demolition of the old north wing in 1955 leaves only the south wing of 1825. There was once a chapel here but this was demolished in 1845 after it had been used as a barn for some time. Investigation of the grounds in 1978 recovered over one hundred medieval pottery sherds as well as a few of Roman and post medieval date.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8567 0837
Map Sheet:TF80NE

Full description

Named after owner in around 1300, presumably original site of house was moated site now converted to ornamental ponds. Present house stood to north; 'old' north wing demolished in 1955, leaving only the south wing of 1825.
There was formerly a chapel with Early English east window and Decorated side windows, low side-window demolished 1845 after being used as a barn; 'new building erected in 1885' (See (S1) and Ordnance Survey card).

B. Cushion (NAU) discovered on west side of moat a concentration of glazed and coarse medieval sherds, samian base, rim and spout of limestone mortar, two post medieval sherds.
Information from A. Rogerson (NAU).

One hundred glazed and coarse medieval sherds, one Roman sherd, one Grimston glazed aquamanile fragment.
Held by NCM and photographed by G. Pooley.
E. Rose (NAU).

However, the large brick barn to the north of the house has a datestone 1817. It is remarkably large for this date and has a sort of false clerestory.
Seen only in passing.
E. Rose (NLA) February 2002.

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN FEATURE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • MORTAR (VESSEL) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF8508 C-E.
---Article in Monograph: Davison, A. 1982. Petygards and the Medieval Hamlet of Cotes. Trowse, Horning, Deserted Medieval Villages. East Anglian Arch. No 14. pp 102-107.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 80 NE 2.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Sporle with Palgrave.
<S1>Monograph: Bryant, J.. 1900. Norfolk Churches.. 1.

Related records

13495Related to: Deserted hamlet of Cotes (Monument)
13270Related to: Medieval pottery sherds and coin (Find Spot)
13271Related to: Site of Roman settlement and deserted medieval settlement of Cotes or Petygards (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service