Record Details

NHER Number:39146
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of possible World War Two pillbox

Summary

A structure, possibly a World War Two pillbox, is visible on aerial photographs taken in 1952. It is located at the foot of a cliff and almost certainly fell from the cliff top or face. This stretch of coastline was heavily defended during World War Two, and the postulated pillbox probably formed part of either of the two coastal defence sites (NHER 39147 and 39148) which occupied the cliffs in the immediate vicinity.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2984 3792
Map Sheet:TG23NE
Parish:MUNDESLEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

December 2004. Norfolk NMP.
A possible pillbox is visible as a structure on aerial photographs (S1), at approximately TG 2985 3792. It can be seen as a small, rectangular or square structure at the base of the cliff. Although its identification as a World War Two pillbox is not certain, given the extensive coastal defences that have been recorded in the surrounding area this seems the most likely interpretation. The original location of the feature is unknown, as no structures of this type are visible in the immediate vicinity on wartime and immediately post-war photographs. It could, however, have been hidden by being dug into the cliff on which it stood. The fate of the pillbox after 1952 is not known but it may have been removed or buried when the access track to its south was cut in the 1950s. It should be noted that its location is approximate as it was mapped from a part of the photograph which could not be rectified.
(S1)
S. Tremlett (NMP), 21 December 2004.

Monument Types

  • PILLBOX? (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1952. RAF 540/690 5104-5 11-MAR-1952 (NMR).

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service