Record Details

NHER Number:40643
Type of record:Building
Name:Park House, Market Place

Summary

This 16th century timber framed building was an inn called the White Hart in 1600 when it was the subject of a celebrated dispute among the county justices. The godly faction wanted to close it as a disorderly house and the others supported the owner, Richard Hulse. It remained an inn. Illicit games were reported in 1608. It is last described as an inn in 1676. In 1737 it was owned by William Colman a carpenter. The building has been much altered in the 19th and 20th centuries.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 08798 90472
Map Sheet:TM09SE
Parish:NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Building Survey.
Timber framed house. Possibly a building mentioned here in 1599.
See report and plans/elevations (S1) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 27th July 2004.

In 1535 a house on this site was bequethed by William Semecraft. A former owner Bartholemew Canne is named. By 1600 it had become an inn, The White Hart, and the subject of a celebrated dispute among the county justices, the godly faction seeking to close it as a disorderly house and the others supporting the owner, Richard Hulse. It remained an inn. Illicit games were reported in 1608 and the brewhouse in 1609. It is last described as an inn in 1676. In 1737 it was owned by William Colman a carpenter.
See (S2).
M. Dennis (NLA), 11 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Park House - New Buckenham.
<S2>Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 140-141.

Related records

9200Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service