Record Details

NHER Number:40636
Type of record:Building
Name:The Rookery


The Rookery was built as a 17th century tripartite house with a central hall and service and parlour wings by Charles Gosling. The hall reused older timbers. The gabled parlour wing was replaced by 1820 and further modernised in the Victorian period. The house formerly had a garden house which contained some carved stone coats of arms.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 08961 90424
Map Sheet:TM09SE

Full description

The Rookery formerly had a Garden House, about which almost nothing is known, but from which came some carved stone coats of arms. Drawings of these are on the same sheet as the oriel boards now in the church, see NHER 40579, but the actual shields have vanished.
Information from (S1).

April 2002. Building Survey.
The Rookery seems to have been built as a standard floored tripartite house with central hall and service and parlour wings either side (reusing 15th century timbers). The surviving hall and service wing of the original house seem to date from the 17th century. The gabled parlour wing was replaced probably by 1820 and further modernised in the Victorian period.
See report (S2) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 27th July 2004.

Henry Kendall's neighbour at The Rookery, Charles Gosling, followed his example and enlarged his site, first mentioned as a house in 1498. In 1632 he was given leave to extend eastwards and build his barn out over the town ditch. This allowed him to move the house from the market place into the middle of the garden. A garden wall beside the market place is documented in 1638 when Samuel Clarke broke the bricks by leaning timber against it.
See (S3).
M. Dennis (NLA), 11 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) GARDEN HOUSE (Unknown date)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 559.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>*Verbal Communication: 1986. Rutledge, P..
<S2>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2002. The Rookery - New Buckenham.
<S3>Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 84-85.

Related records

9200Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)
40619Related to: Saffron House, formerly Rookery Lodge, Booseys Walk (Building)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service