|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Thatched Cottage, Marsh Lane|
This early 16th century timber framed and thatched house was probably extensively remodelled around 1600, perhaps even being re-erected in this slightly out of the way location outside the medieval planned town and beyond the town boundary ditch. It became an inn in 1713 until de-licensed at the end of the century. It was owned by tanners in the early 19th century. It had been divided into three tenements by 1817 but has now been remade into a single property.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08866 90302|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
November 1977. Listed, Grade II.
Three timber-framed cottages dating to 1606, now converted to a single dwelling. Rendered and colourwashed wattle and daub infill, with clay lump repairs to centre and thatched roof. L-shaped plan. Hipped roof with ridge stack left of centre. West wall of rendered breeze blocks. Interior has fragment of a diamond mullioned window in hall. Living room has original English bond fireplace below bressumer with chamfer and roll and tongue stops, lounge fireplace similar. Curved braces to tie beams.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16th July 2004.
According to (S2) this was the King's Arms public house from 1713 until it was delicensed in the late eighteenth century.
July 2003. Visit.
This house is recorded as being newly built in 1608. It would seem likely that an earlier house, possibly early sixteenth century, was extensively remodelled with the insertion of a hall floor and chimney stack. The parlour was rebuilt (or newly built) around 1600.
See report (S3) and photographs in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.
This was unrecorded before 1606 and described as lately built in '1608'. It lies outside the medieval town and beyond the town ditch whose final silting at around this time would have improved access to this back-lane site. Could this early 16th century structure have been re-erected from elsewhere at this site in the early 17th century? It became an inn in the early 18th century and was owned by tanners in the early 19th century when it included a currying office. It had been divided into three tenements by 1817.
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.
- (Former Type) INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 561. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1991. [Sale advertisement for Thatched Cottage, New Buckenham]. 25 January. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077540. |
|<S2>||Publication: Rutledge, P.. 2000. New Buckenham, a planned town at work 1530-1780. p 18. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2003. Thatched Cottage, Marsh Lane, New Buckenham, Norfolk. |
|<S4>||Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 92-94. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|