Record Details

NHER Number:40604
Type of record:Building
Name:Blair House and St Mary's Cottage, Queen Street/Market Place

Summary

These buildings originated as a tripartite medieval hall house probably built around 1500. St Mary's was the storied end of the hall. A chimney was inserted in the north end of the house in the 16th century but was in decay in 1624. Its repair may have encouraged several 17th century adaptations. The house was owned by shearers and a woollen draper in the 16th and 17th centuries and wasn't subdivided until 1695.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 08803 90460
Map Sheet:TM09SE
Parish:NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Two early 17th century timber framed houses. Rendered with wattle and daub infill and pantiled roof. 2 storeys. Left bay rebated corresponding to cross frame. Doors left and right. 4 ground floor windows, 3 to left are sashes with glazing bars, 1 to right is 20th century casement. 3 groups of first floor windows grouped in 2-3-2 form probably in original openings. Steeply pitched gabled roof with square ridge stack right of centre. Further auxiliary stack to left on rear roof slope. Rear with outshut and gabled cross wing to south with internal end stack. One gabled dormer to main range.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16 July 2004.

March to April 2004. Building survey.
It appears that Blair House and the adjoining property started as a tripartite medieval hall house of central open hall with the cross passage in the hall and the parlour and service ends in the usual pattern. At some time in the sixteenth century the chimney was inserted in the north end of the hall, probably at the same time as the inserted ceiling and applied frame. Probably rather later, in the seventeenth century, the front wall of the house was remodelled and the hall roof converted from its original crownpost structure to butt purlins, creating a usable attic space which was floored and accessed through the existing stair trap with its contemporary dormer and window.
See report (S2) and photographs in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.

January 2004. Building survey.
St Mary's Cottage is evidently the storeyed end of Blair House, showing the same carpentry features and sharing the surviving parts of the frame. The features of this house suggest a date around 1500 for its construction.
See report (S3) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.

This seems to be an assembled site as it is probably the property described in 1542 as 'two and a half tofts and half a toft in the same place' and later as part of a 'messuage built and part of a messuage vacant'. The chimney was in decay in 1624 and its repair may have encouraged the 17th century alterations recorded by the survey. It was owned by shearers and a woollen-draper in the late 16th and early 17th centuries and was subdivided shortly before 1695.
See (S4).
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (15th Century to 19th Century - 1500 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 559.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077539.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2004. Blair House, New Buckenham, Norfolk.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2004. Saint Mary's Cottage, Market Place, New Buckenham, Norfolk.
<S4>Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 145-147.

Related records

9200Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service