|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||King's Head Public House, Market Place|
The house is first documented in 1542. It was originally part of a large courtyard house called Broadgates until Holly Lodge was sold off in 1692. The surviving sixteenth century bays are the extension built to the rear of an earlier and now disappeared range facing the market. They may have been constructed when the building was owned briefly in the late 16th century by the leading Verdon family. The earlier range was replaced with the seventeenth century bays of the rear bar and the nineteenth century front range. The building was not named as an inn until 1762.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08805 90431|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
February 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Public house. Early 18th century core, altered in the 19th and 20th centuries. Timber framed with roughcast brick façade and pantiled roof. Two storeys with square carriage entrance to south. Long rear range of kitchens and service areas of two storeys below gabled roof.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 16th July 2004.
 notes in May 1993: The site has been occupied since at least 1560. It was known as Broadgates by 1597 and a public house, the Broad gate, in 1762. Called King’s Head by 1780. In 1611 it was owned by Richard Pearson, shoemaker with shop, boulting house and detached kitchen.
January 2004. Building survey.
The present complex of building phases is the result of a history of rebuilding. Evidently the sixteenth century bays are the surviving extension built to the rear of an earlier and now disappeared range onto the market. The earlier range has been replaced by the seventeenth century bays of the rear bar and the nineteenth century front range.
See report (S2) and photographs in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.
The King's Head and the back wing of the adjoining Holly Lodge formed a courtyard house until the Holly Lodge range was sold off in 1692. The name Broadgates acknowledges this generous layout. The house is first documented in 1542. It was owned briefly in the late 16th century by the leading Verdon family. In 1611 it was owned by Richard Peirson, a showmaker. It was not named as an inn until 1762.
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PUBLIC HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Document: Rutledge, P.. 1993. Letter from Paul Rutledge. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 559. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342441. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2004. King's Head, New Buckenham, Norfolk. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 148-150. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|
|40609||Related to: Holly Lodge, Queen Street (Building)|
Find out more...