|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Antique shop and Post Office, King Street|
These shops and domestic quarters were built on a plot assembled by the purchase of two separate pieces of land in the late 16th century. The timber framed structure was built in the early 17th century. The building was subdivided before 1675 and then rejoined by 1825. The house was owned by John Gall in 1877. He was probably responsible for the continuous refacing of the building in brick.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08820 90374|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
February 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Shops and domestic quarters. 1598. Timber framed with rendered wattle and daub infill refaced c.1860-70 in brick with gault brick dressings. Roof of black glazed pantiles. Two storeys. Double fronted shop front to left with half glazed door. Door to right of shop front in fluted case under segmental arch. Sash window mid 19th century with glazing bars, 20th century casement and 20th century door completes ground floor. Three sash windows to first floor with glazing bars and one 20th century casement. Gabled roof with off-centre axial stack. Rear has 18th century and 19th century outshuts in 2 builds. Five one-light windows survive under eaves. Post office extension to east not included. Heavy scantling to interior stud work. Boxed spine beam.
Information from (S1).
June 2002. Building survey of Burrage House.
Suggested as early 17th century with interesting 17th/18th century corridor, refronted 19th century.
See (S2) and photographs in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 21st July 2004.
Previously NHER 9200 context 20.
(S3) records as The Old Post Office and Burrage House.
The site of this house seems to have been assembled by the purchase of two adjacent properties by John and Robert Burrage in 1598 to 1599. The early 17th century date given by the survey is consistent with this. It was recently subdivided in 1675. The west end had a new built buttery and shop and the east end a shed, stables, outhouses and shops. Both parts were back in one ownership by 1825 and by 1877 they had been acquired by John Gall who was probably responsible for the continuous brick front.
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.
May 2004. Dendrochronological analysis.
Seven samples were obtained, three of which were usable. Felling appears to have occurred after 1694 and before 1729, and construction is likely to have taken place within this period as there is some evidence that some timbers were initially utilised green.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 10 July 2009.
- HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1598 AD? to 2100 AD)
- SHOP (16th Century to 21st Century - 1598 AD? to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1694 AD? to 2100 AD) + Sci.Date
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 561. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1169215. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2002. Burrage House - New Buckenham. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 155-157. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: Tyers, I. with Brown, S. and Brown, M.. 2004. Arcus Project Report No. 783. A Report on the Tree-Ring Analysis of Properties in New Buckenham, Norfolk.. pp 5-6. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|