|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||No. 1 Chapel Street|
This 16th century two storey timber framed house has roughcast wattle and daub infill and occasional brick repairs. The upper storey is jettied. Inside it has a medieval town house plan. It probably started life as the gatehouse of a building of some importance. It belonged to the Verdon family, the retainers of the Knyvetts at the castle, and leading townsmen from the late 15th century. In the early 17th century the gatehouse was converted into a dwelling house.
|Grid Reference:||TM 08699 90381|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
16th century timber framed house with roughcast wattle and daub infill and occasional brick repairs. Medieval town house plan. Two storeys, the upper jettied. 19th century extensions to south wall.
See full survey and interpretation in file made by E. Rose (NLA) when house stripped out.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13th July 2004.
Previously NHER 9200 context 9.
April 1983. Listed, Grade II.
House. 16th century. Timber framed with roughcast wattle and daub infill and occasional brick repairs. Corrugated iron roof. Medieval town house plan, set tranverse to road with single bay facade. Two storeys, The upper jettied. One 18th century sash window each floor with glazing bars. Two 19th century rendered brick extensions to south flanking wall. Gabled roof with central stack. Interior much altered but bridging beam and joists of first floor remain.
Information from (S1).
(S2) in file sees the building as being of three phases in the 15th/16th century.
Now probably identified as the gatehouse of a building of some importance this site belonged to William Verdon in 1573 and it may be that of the Verdons' house that was charged a landgable rent, high in New Buckenham terms, in 1542. As late as 1696 the site measured one acre, again big for New Buckenham. The Verdons were the retainers of the Knyvetts at the castle and leading townsmen from the late 15th century. Probably by 1615 and certainly by 1634 it had become a dwelling house. A possible attached range along Chapel Street has now gone. The southern (King Street) front range was sold off by 1573.
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.
- HOUSE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: Rose, E.. BPS 21. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342476. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2004. 1 Chapel Street, New Buckenham, Norfolk. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 168-170. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|