|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Ruined medieval barn and site of post-medieval cottage|
Ruined remains of barn within former precinct of Rushford chantry college (NHER 6092). A survey of these ruins in 2002 dated the east wall to c. 1500 and identified evidence for a partial rebuild during the 18th century. A Victorian cottage that once lay at the northern end of the barn was demolished in 2003. A single fragment of reused medieval masonry was recovered during the demolition of this structure. The medieval fabric of the barn was preserved.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 92275 81286|
|Parish:||BRETTENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
|RUSHFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Dairy Farm, Rushford, which lies within the former precinct of Rushford College; a chantry college of priests founded in 1342 (NHER 6092).
August 2001. Planning Application.
Application to demolition fire damaged cottage and stables at Dairy Farm. Erection of new stud workers house, stable yard and change of use from agriculture to stud.
See (S1) for further details.
Z. Dack (HES), 23 December 2011.
March 2002. Building Survey and Desk-based Assessment.
Survey of ruined cottage and remains of attached barn at Dairy Farm.
The east wall of the ruined barn was dated to c. 1500. It was possibly constructed at a time of expansion when extra chantry priests and 13 schoolchildren were introduced. The barn was partly rebuilt in the 18th century and converted to a dwelling in the 19th century.
See report (S2) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S3).
Previously recorded under NHER 6092.
Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 9 June 2015.
October 2003. Watching Brief.
Maintained during the demolition of the ruined Victorian cottage attached to the barn.
A single medieval jamb stone from an ecclesiastical window arch had been reused within part of an 18th-century brick wall.
See report (S4) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S5).
J. Allen (NLA), 30 October 2003. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 9 June 2015.
It is believed that the ruins of the barn, including the early 16th-century east wall, are preserved to the south of the new building that has now been erected close to the site of the demolished cottage.
P. Watkins (HES), 9 June 2015.
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (15th Century to 21st Century - 1500 AD? to 2100 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD? to 2003 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Underdown, S. 2002. Report on an Archaeological Desk-based Study and Building Survey at Dairy Farm (Rushford College), Brettenham, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 689. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. (eds). 2003. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk, 2002. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt II pp 368-384. p 369. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Hobbs, B. 2004. An Archaeological Watching Brief at Dairy Farm (Rushford College), Brettenham, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 885. |
|<S5>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 575. |
|6092||Part of: The College and St John's Church, Rushford (Building)|
Find out more...