|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flint, Saxon to medieval pottery, and post medieval clay pipe, Redcastle Furze Ballpark|
Archaeological observations and excavations were carried out at this site during 2003. This work failed to record any features of archaeological interest and a small quantity of unstratified finds. The finds included a Prehistoric burnt flint, Saxon and medieval pottery, and post medieval clay smoking pipe fragments.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8625 8279|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
January-February 2003. Strip Map and Sample Excavation and Watching Brief.
Excavation of a small area and monitoring of various groundworks for development of the playing field recorded no features of archaeological interest and a very small quantity of unstratified finds. The finds included one sherd of Early Saxon pottery, several sherds of Thetford or early medieval ware, and one burnt flint.
See report (S1) for further details.
M. Horlock (NLA) 19 March 2003. Updated by H. Hamilton (NLA), 29 July 2008.
June 2003. Excavation.
Hand excavation of additional sondage.
Two fragments of post-medieval smoking pipes were recovered from an additional small sondage for the installation of a basketball post. No archaeological features were identified.
See report (S2) for further details.
A. Cattermole (NLA) 1 March 2005.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BURNT FLINT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon to 12th Century - 851 AD to 1199 AD)
- POT (Medieval to 13th Century - 1066 AD to 1299 AD)
- PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2003. An Archaeological Excavation and Watching Brief at Redcastle Furze Playing Field, Thetford. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 807. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Birks, C. 2003. Addendum to Report on a 'Strip and Record' Archaeological Excavation and Watching Brief at Redcastle Furze Playing Field, Thetford. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 807 (addendum). |
|5756||Part of: Prehistoric pits, Iron Age settlement, Saxon town area, and medieval industrial activity (Monument)|
Find out more...