Record Details

NHER Number:4013
Type of record:Building
Name:Narford Hall


A late 17th century and early 18th century country house in carstone and ashlar, built by Sir Andrew Fontaine. The house was enlarged in about 1830, and has a central pedimented block and a stone tower porch. The interior contains several early 18th century fireplaces and plasterwork. The clock tower and orangery date to about 1860.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7668 1374
Map Sheet:TF71SE

Full description

Important house of 1690 to 1720 by Sir A. Fountaine.
Remodelled 1860.
See notes in file.

House grade I.
Orangery, clock tower and sundial grade II.

(S1) describes the Hall as being built by Andrew Fountaine of Salle, Norfolk (1632-1706) from 1690 to about 1704. Greatly enlarged from about 1830 under the direction of Andrew Fountaine. Carstone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Original block to south west. Mainly 2 storeys with attics. 7-bay facade to original block of sash windows with glazing bars (presumably 18th centuy replacements) surrounded by stone eared architraves. Pedimented, slightly advanced and ashlar faced central 3 bays. Former entrance aedicule consists of open-topped segmental pediment on a pair of columns with carved capitals. Fanlight with radiating glazing bars within. Rusticated quoins, plain platband, modillion cornices and balustraded parapet. Hipped roof with 4 dormer windows beneath segmental pediments. Andrew Fountaines enlargements include a stone tower porch with cupola to north east side of original block and extensive additions reflecting the style of the original block. Interior. Cycle of paintings by Antonio Pellegrini; staircase dated 1704 with twisted balusters; various early 18th century plaster ceilings and fire-places.
Clock tower, orangery and connecting walls. Probably about 1860 by Andrew Fountaine. Ashlar. Clock tower surmounted by arcaded cupola. 7-bay orangery of large casement windows beneath semicircular arches with Baroque decoration. Centre bay slightly larger with rusticated reveals. Balustrade parapet. Roof not visible. Stone connecting walls.
Sundial. 19th century replica of early 18th century structure.
Information from (S1).
S. Spooner (NLA) 17 July 2006

Monument Types

  • CLOCK TOWER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • COUNTRY HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ORANGERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • SUNDIAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF7613 E-F,G,H,K-P,R,S. CUCAP PU 65-73.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 71 SE 40 [2].
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1996. [Photograph of Narford Hall]. 14 December.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Kenworthy-Browne, J. (et al.). 1981. Burke’s and Savills's Guide to Country Houses. Volume 3: East Anglia.. pp 161-162.
---Monograph: Crowmwell, T. and Cotman, J. S. 1818. Excursions through Norfolk.
---Article in Serial: Parissien, S., Harris, J. & Colvin, H.. 1987. Narford Hall, Norfolk.. The Georgian Group Report and Journal. p 49. p 49.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 553-555.
---Monograph: Worsley, G.. 1995. Classical Architecture in Britain: The Heroic Age.. p 188. p 146.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records

30473Parent of: Narford Park (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service