Record Details

NHER Number:35373
Type of record:Building
Name:Admiral's House, 12 Market Place


An early 18th century painted brick house, perhaps with an earlier core. It is two storeys high with dormer attics and a black pantile roof with stepped gables. A two storey wing is on the right, and a one storey wing on the left. The name of the house comes from Admiral Sir Philip Wodehouse, who once lived here.


  • The Admiral's House, Hingham, was once the home of Admiral Sir Philip Wodehouse  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 0238 0216
Map Sheet:TG00SW

Full description

November 1959. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description excerpt:
"House. Early 18th century (core may be earlier). Colour-washed brick. Steep black-glazed pantile roof with crow-step gable ends and moulded eaves cornice. Band at floor level. Two storeys and attic. 2:1:2 windows, centre in very slight projection...Central doorcase with needed architrave and open pediment on console brackets...Two dormers with cambered heads and sashes with glazing bars. Right hand wing projects with embattled parapet and splayed corner one sash to each floor with glazing bars. Left hand projecting one storey, one window wing also with sash."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
Architects proposals (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 26 June 2000. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 20 February 2022.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, B. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 407.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1305575.
<S2>Drawing: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service