Record Details

NHER Number:34406
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two searchlight battery

Summary

A World War Two searchlight battery is visible on aerial photographs on the present site of Cromer Police Station and Meadow Close. This site consisted of large embanked searchlight emplacements, associated gun emplacements and structures, plus outer perimeter defences of barbed wire obstruction and ant-tank cubes. To the north of the site is a type 22 pillbox (NHER 32570). A possible World War Two encampment or training site was also located on the adjacent area of meadow (NHER 38816).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2135 4190
Map Sheet:TG24SW
Parish:CROMER, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

June 1946.
RAF aerial photograph indicates 2 circular embanked structues, probably searchlight positions, with smaller gun emplacements to the southwest and the southeast.
B. Cushion (NLA) 22 April 1999.

Centre of site altered from TG 2140 4192 to TG 2135 4192.

September 2004. Norfolk NMP.
A World War Two searchlight battery is visible on aerial photographs (S1 to S3) on the present site of Cromer Police Station and Meadow Close. This site consisted of large embanked searchlight emplacements, associated gun emplacements and structures, plus outer perimeter defences of barbed wire obstruction and anti tank cubes. To the north of the site is a type 22 pillbox (NHER 32570). A possible World War Two encampment or training site was also located on the adjacent area of meadow (NHER 38816). The searchlight battery, including outlier defences, is centred on TG 2135 4192.

At TG 2141 4194 is a large circular embanked emplacement, 17m in total diameter, with 4m wide, leaving an internal diameter of 9m. This has an entrance to the east and an inner ditch or slot. A second large circular emplacement is located at TG 2146 4193. This has a total diameter of 17m (internal 11m) and opposed entrances to the east and west. This appears to have a subsidiary emplacement to the immediate west, linked by a line of bank that continues into a circular embankment measuring 7m in diameter. A third much smaller circular emplacement is visible at TG 2137 4194, measuring 4.5m in diameter. The smaller emplacements are likely to have been light anti-aircraft machine guns pits or similar defences.

On oblique aerial photographs from 1940 (S1) a group of structures are visible, approximately centred on TG 2137 4192. There was not sufficient mapping control and detail to be able to accurately map and interpret these buildings. They have been sketch plotted from the oblique aerial photographs images, so the size and positioning of the structures may not be accurate. The buildings appear to consist of a square structure, a rectangular structure with two projecting faces and an L-shaped structure. At approximately TG 2149 4192 is a further rectangular structure, surrounded by a slit trench. It is assumed that one of these structures housed the generator for the searchlight and accommodation for the detachment. However for nearby possible World War Two buildings see the adjacent site of NHER 38816, which may have been a military encampment or training site. By 1946 only the earthworks of the searchlight emplacements remained (S2).

Centred on TG 2156 4199 is a group of three weapons pits, ranging from 1.5m to 4m across. A fourth pit was located to the west of the main site buildings. Several perimeter defences surround the site. The most extensive is a barbed wire obstruction that defines the southern and western extents of the camp. The western edge of the camp also has a possible gun position at TG 2122 4192 and several short sections of slit trench, in particular at TG 2120 4177. The north eastern edge of the camp is protected and covered by the type 22 pillbox and associated trenches (NHER 32570). The entrance to the camp next to the Lodge house, located at the south eastern edge of the site at TG 2155 4190, is protected by a series of six anti-tank cubes. Immediately in front of these obstructions is a rectangular area of lighter or scuffed road surface, measuring 9m by 6m. This would appear to indicate the position of a further road block, which had been removed by 1946.
S. Massey (NMP), 27 September 2004.

Monument Types

  • ANTI TANK BLOCK (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • BARBED WIRE OBSTRUCTION (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • GENERATOR HOUSE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • MILITARY BUILDING (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • ROADBLOCK (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • SLIT TRENCH (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • TANK TRAP (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • WEAPONS PIT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. [unknown]. TG24/TG2140/B.
<S1>Oblique Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1940. NMR TG 2141/10 (MSO 31024 26/BR14/17 5308) 15-OCT-1940.
<S2>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1430 4173-4 16-APR-1946 (NMR).
<S3>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF CPE/UK/1910 3020-1 27-DEC-1946 (NMR).

Related records

32570Related to: World War Two pillbox and trench (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service