Record Details

NHER Number:34339
Type of record:Building
Name:Wayland Hospital


Wayland Hopsital was built in 1911/1912 as a poor law infirmary and served as an overflow from the Wayland Union workhouse. It was constructed of brick with pantile roofs. It was demolished in 2005.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 0304 9613
Map Sheet:TM09NW

Full description

Constructed as a very late example of a poor law infirmary, an overflow to the union workhouse, in 1911 to 1912 by H. T. Green (despite being marked as a building under construction on the 1953 provisional series 6 inch Ordnance Survey map (S1)). Still retained the male/female structural division, here the boiler room was on the male side and the laundry on the female side. Neo Georgian style, seven bays three storey centre block with pediment, central door with hood, stacks equally spaced. Two storey wings with single bay projections, verandah balconies connect the projections with the centre. Pantile roofs.
See (S2). (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 April 1999.

November 2004. Brief inspection of façade.
Use of terracotta in façade particularly for inscription 'Erected AD 1912' in pediment; and balconies mentioned above are supported on concrete columns, an early use if original.
E. Rose (NLA) 15 November 2004.

Permission granted to demolish.
(S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 21 April 2005.

November 2005. Building demolished.
E. Rose (NLA) 1 December 2005.

Monument Types

  • HOSPITAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INFIRMARY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Newspaper Article: 2002. Eastern Daily Press. 11 May.
---Newspaper Article: 2003. Eastern Daily Press.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Publication: Richardson, H.. 1988. English Hospitals 1600-1948. p 71.
<S3>Newspaper Article: 1983. Eastern Daily Press. 2 September.
<S4>Photograph: Unknown. 2004. Building Photograph.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service