|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||New Houghton Village|
The village was constructed in the 1720s to rehouse the villagers of Houghton when the remains of the medieval village were removed from the park. The village consists of two rows of five estate cottages, almshouses, a chapel and a school. The village was originally hidden from the park by a belt of trees, but changes to the park carried out in the early 19th century mean that it now lies at the park gates.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 791 276|
|Parish:||HOUGHTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Planned village constructed 1724 to 1729 when old village removed for park. Avenue of 2 rows of 5 houses, each of four bays and 2 storeys, mostly with doors at sides, but each slightly different.
Low single-storeyed terrace of almshouses at right angles.
Village Farm, one with group, is in similar style but with Georgian doorcase, see NHER 44270.
See drawings in (S1) in file.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 2 July 1977.
Listed grade II, see (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 28 October 1985.
D. Yaxley disagrees with (S2), saying foundations not laid until 1729 and houses not occupied in 1730.
Almshouses added after 1838, school built 1845, chapel also later.
E. Rose (NAU) 16 March 1987.
(S2) and (S3) in file.
(S4) notes that originally the new village was hidden from view behind a large belt of trees, its present position at the park gates is due to alterations to the west drive in the early 19th century. The uniformity and standardisation of the cottages echoed the conformity and dependance expected of the villagers in the early 18th century.
See (S4) for more details, and NHER 44188 to 44199 for records of individual houses.
S. Spooner (NLA) 6 April 2006
A Conservation Brief.
The purpose of this brief is to enable improvements to be made to the buildings in a way which will promote conservation of the character and unity of the village, and state the criteria against which any development proposals will be assessed by the Borough Planning Authority.
J. Yates (HES), 7 September 2012.
- ALMSHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CHAPEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ESTATE COTTAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SCHOOL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- VILLAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF7927A-C. |
|---||Monograph: Davison, A. 1988. Six Deserted Villages in Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 44. pp 83-99. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 435-436. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Walters, C.. New Houghton A Conservation Brief - Borough Council of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Publication: Walters, C.. New Houghton: A Conservation Brief. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry Unknown. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Concern for character of village in W. Norfolk. 5 March. |
|<s4>||Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 268. pp 55-57. |
|44188||Parent of: 1, 2 and 3 The Street (Building)|
|44191||Parent of: 10 and 11 The Street (Building)|
|44192||Parent of: 12 and 13 The Street (Building)|
|44193||Parent of: 14, 15, 16 and 17 The Street (Building)|
|44194||Parent of: 20, 21 and 22 The Street (Building)|
|44195||Parent of: 23 and 24 The Street (Building)|
|44196||Parent of: 25 and 26 The Street (Building)|
|44197||Parent of: 27 and 28 The Street (Building)|
|44198||Parent of: 29 and 30 The Street (Building)|
|44199||Parent of: 32 and 33 The Street (Building)|
|44189||Parent of: 4 and 5 The Street (Building)|
|44190||Parent of: 6, 7, 8 and 9 The Street (Building)|
Find out more...