Record Details

NHER Number:3516
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval icehouse


This 19th century icehouse served Hillington Hall (NHER 3508). The domed brick chamber is located beneath a mound and is accessed via a brick-lined trench and a brick-lined tunnel. It was probably built during the 1820s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7279 2571
Map Sheet:TF72NW

Full description

Icehouse. Visit.
Small grassed mound about 9m (10 paces) diameter, 1.5m high. Entrance on north unusually not in side of mound, but as brick lined trench in surface of field with steps down, about 2m long. Barrel vaulted tunnel beyond with mark of outer door and stone surround to missing inner door, still wet with condensation. Chamber not spherical but brick domed over rendered straight sides - more like an ice well, however floor not visible as covered in rubbish. Total height probably about 4-5m.

Served Hillington Hall and probably dates from hall's rebuilding in 1820s. Unusually situated at top of hill 400m (quarter mile) south of Hall in park, and 530m (one third of a mile) southeast of Wilderness Pond, more probable source of ice as lake flows.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 April 1985.

Building in good condition as of 1992.
NIAS records (S1)
W. Arnold HES 24/01/11

Monument Types

  • ICEHOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1820 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records.

Related records

30512Part of: Hillington Park (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service