Record Details

NHER Number:3099
Type of record:Building
Name:Manor Farm and remains of St Peter's Church, Wood Norton

Summary

Manor Farmhouse was built around 1700 with a north wing and a 18th century south wing forming a 'T' plan. It is of red brick with a red pantile roof and a coped Dutch gable. The associated barn is actually the remains of the former church of St Peter. Only the nave survives, of flint with brick dressings, and forms the body of the barn. Evidence for work from around 1200 to 1500 survives, as does a blocked lancet of 1200, a Decorated/Perpendicular style door arch, and a blocked two-light Perpendicular style window. The church is known to have been in use in the early 15th century but was derelict by 1600.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0132 2731
Map Sheet:TG02NW
Parish:WOOD NORTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Traces of church (around 1300) in barn of Manor Farm (17th century), (S1) and (S2) .
E. Rose (NAU).

Early English style style ruined in 1600 in use during the time of Henry V (according to Bryant).
E. Rose (NAU).

Listing (S2) notes conglomerate quoins, house is around 1700.
E. Rose (NAU).

Appropriate section from (S3) in file.

English Heritage Listing:
Manor Farm House, Wood Norton.
Farmhouse. Built around 1700 north wing with 18th century south wing forming 'T' plan. Red brick, red pantiles. North wing with brick coped Dutch gable to north with stack, east return with two ground and three first floor 19th century casement cross windows, ground floor plinth, first floor and eaves level platband. Door with switch tracery fanlight. Steeply pitched roof. Lower two storey service wing, with three arched headed ground floor windows, one three-light casement, two two-light casements; three first floor windows, one sash with glazing bars, two two-light casements. Three doors, one blocked, two with 19th century boarded doors. Straight joint at east marks division of builds. Central stack at junction with ridge of higher north wing.

Manor Farm Barn, former Church of St Peter, Wood Norton.
Farm barn, former church of St Peter. Nave only with around 1200 to around 1500 evidence. Flint with brick dressings. 20th century pantiled roof. West gable with blocked gable lancet around 1200, south west corner with conglomerate quoins above suggesting yet earlier beginnings; south side with Decorated/Perpendicular style door arch, blocked two light Perpendicular style window with tracery head surviving, central cart doors, cut stone lancet. Chancel demolished, brick east gable. North side with Perpendicular style two-light windows and blocked Decorated window embrasure to east. 20th century roof and lean-to additions to north, not of special interest.
Information from (S2).

Monument Types

  • (Former Type) CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1539 AD?)
  • BARN (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • FARMHOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG0127G.
---Aerial Photograph: TG 0127/ Q, R, S, T, U.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 02 NW 4.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 734.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Wood Norton.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 349.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S3>Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 86; p 52.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service