Record Details

NHER Number:30553
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval maltings and warehouse, District Council Offices


A maltings and warehouse have stood at this location since 1769. However, the present 3-storey buildings were constructed in 1861. These consist of a warehouse and manufactory fronting Raymond street and a t-shaped malthouse to the rear. Since 1967, the maltings ad warehouse have been partly used as offices for the District Council. Several alterations were carried out in 1989 to create additional offices and further alterations were made in 1999 for the creation of a youth drop-in centre.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 8720 8287
Map Sheet:TL88SE

Full description

March 1971. Listed, Grade II.
Maltings and warehouse, now partly district council offices.
Late 18th century, rebuilt 1861. Listed, grade II. Two parallel blocks and crosswing. Warehouse and manufactory along Raymond Street. Malthouse behind. Flint faced over brick and clunch, slate roofs. Seven bays, three storeys. Loading bay door with illegible date and coat of arms over. Brick bands betweeen floors. Date 1861 on link to maltings which were on a T-plan with unglazed windows. Raised kiln louvre.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NLA) 30 March 1994.

Architects plans of 1999 (S2) in file.

Monument Types

  • MALTINGS (18th Century to Late 20th Century - 1760 AD to 1967 AD?)
  • FACTORY (18th Century to Late 20th Century - 1769 AD to 1967 AD?)
  • OFFICE (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1967 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 716.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1196083.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service