|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Beach Farm Cottages|
A 16th or 17th century two storey brick and flint range of cottages, now a house. Viewed from the front, the left part with its projecting porch tower is the oldest, the right side being a later addition and a clear vertical line dividing the two. During a highly commended renovation in the early 1990s, various 19th century agricultural relics were discovered, and a board blocking a window was found to have graffiti of ships on it and a date 1776.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4064 2800|
|Parish:||LESSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Stated in (1) to be 16th century. Photograph shows house of two storeys with projecting porch tower having hoodmoulded window above four centred entrance, and brick plinth. To right of porch, restored window on each floor, then a clear vertical join in line with offcentre stack; wall to right of join appears to be all pebble flint with no brick, but right hand gable wall appears to be a recent rebuild.
Certainly suggests two period house, with older work being 17th century at least. Board that blocked a window had graffiti of ships with date 1776.
Various 19th century agricultural relics found in renovating property.
Press cutting (S1) and location plan in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 28 September 1992
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. History comes to light in new home. 17 September. |
Related records - none
Find out more...