|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Multi-period metal finds|
Metal detecting from 1991 to 1993 recovered an Iron Age decorative binding, Roman coins, brooches, a nail cleaner and pottery fragments, Saxon brooches, a coin and a strap end, and medieval keys, coins and a brooch.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||Not displayed|
|Parish:||SHERNBORNE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1990 to 1991. Metal detecting. Location 
Area of Roman sherds and coins found.
Sixteen Roman greyware, four Samian, one decorated Samian,
One rim Thetford type bowl.
Twelve Roman coins, list in file.
T-shaped brooch, pin (hinged) missing; plain bow bent and part of catchplate missing. Late 1st to early 2nd century AD.
Dolphin brooch; spring, pin and catchplate missing, mid 4th century.
Headstud brooch;part of integral loop and lower bow missing; hinged pin. Two grooves along bow. 1st to 2nd century.
Lump of Hertfordhire puddingstone.
Bronze ring, medieval brooch or buckle.
At . Head and bow of Early Saxon cruciform brooch, punched decoration on head plate. Integral top knobs with concave reverse. Detachable side knobs missing. Median groove on bow. Traces of iron spring/pin. Oldish break. To be photographed.
At . Sceat. See report in file.
At . 9th century strap end, split end broken; main field divided into two rectangular panels. Animal-head terminal. To be photographed. Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 5 April 1991.
October 1992. Metal detecting.
Medieval casket key.
Early Saxon hooked tag.
Early Saxon cruciform brooch.
L. Brewster (KLM), 2 November 1992.
1993. Metal detecting.
Nine Roman coins.
Two Henry III pennies.
See list in file. Identified by J. Davies (NCM).
Tiny medieval gilt bronze ring-brooch composed of two pairs of animals their heads confronted, one pair on each side of the narrow pin bar, the other opposite. Bodies are pelleted. Pin missing.
Identified by S. Margeson (NCM).
Iron Age decorated bronze binding.
Roman plate brooch. See polaroid (S1) in file.
W. Milligan (NCM), 8 March 1993.
January 1993. Metal detecting.
Roman bronze nail cleaner, part missing. See polaroid (S1) in file.
W. Milligan (NCM), 12 February 1993.p
- FINDSPOT (Early Iron Age to Medieval - 800 BC to 1539 AD)
- PERSONAL ORNAMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TOILET ARTICLE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BROOCH (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- COIN (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- KEY (LOCKING) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: 1991. LBV 21-22, Middle/Late Saxon strap end.. |
|---||Photograph: 1991. LBV 35, Early Saxon brooch.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white. |
Related records - none
Find out more...