Record Details

NHER Number:26481
Type of record:Monument
Name:Ketts Heights

Summary

This area has long been associated with the ruins of St Michael's Chapel (NHER 600), and the area appears to have been a walk and picnic area in the Victorian period. In 1857 there is a reference to a garden on this site, and a windmill somewhere in area. By 1887 the garden, to the south of chapel ruins, was elaborate and possibly commercially run by the gasworks company, who put in paths leading up to the glasshouses by the ruins. To the east is Ketts Castle Villa of 1857, with a number of follies. During the 1940s the area was turned into allotments and piggerys, though these were abandoned by during the post-war era. In 1977 it was aquired by Norwich City Council (leading to the name 'Jubillee Heights') and several projects since then have worked on developing this as a conservation area.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2421 0903
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

Kett's Heights.
Some planting noted in 1834. In 1857 reference to a garden on site and a windmill somewhere in area. By 1887 the garden, on south of chapel ruins, was elaborate and possibly commercial. Paths led to gasworks and up to glasshouses by the ruins. To east is Ketts Castle Villa of 1857 with a number of follies. (One of these contains a genuine medieval arch paired with a copy, leading from the villa to Ketts Heights. The fragment of the tomb of Richard de Southwalsham was found reused here - E. Rose). Few documents remain but may have been a commercial public garden run by the gasworks company.
Norfolk Historic Gardens Survey graded as regional importance.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 22 July 1998

The Norfolk Wildlife Trust say the grounds were laid out for the manager's house of the gasworks.

Revisited by E. Rose (NLA) July 1998. The footings around the chapel (see site NHER 600) are of brick and of slag or clinker; but throughout the gardens there are retaining walls of reject and overfired brick - and of reject pantiles! Some houses east of the site are made of similar bricks, allegedly by the gas company. Which brick and tile works did these come from?
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 24 July 1998.

Monument Types

  • ARCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • (Former Type) WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
  • FOLLY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WASTER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources - none

Related records

600Parent of: Chapel of St Michael, Kett's Heights (Monument)
Mon 759Parent of: St Michael's Church, Gas Hill (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service