|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval feature, The Cathedral of the Holy and Undivided Trinity|
A watching brief during trench digging works in 1989 to the north of the Cathedral's north transept noted dumped deposits of mortal and flint, human bone and the foundations of what is presumed to be part of the east wall of Bishop Wakerig's cloister (1416 to 1425).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23521 08956|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
March 1989. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of excavation of machine dug pipe trench. The trench was aligned west to east and ran immediately north of north transept between Cathedral and Bishops garden. It followed the course of an earlier cast-iron pipe (which had removed deposits to about 1m).
Dumped deposits of mortar and flint, human bone observed on spoil heap probably from articulated burials.
Masonry (mortar and flint) in section opposite eastern portal of north door. Presumably part of east wall of 'Bishop Wakerig's Cloister' (0.6 wide by 0.8m deep).
Foundation of bonded gravel/loam and sand loam.
See site records in file for further details.
J. Bown (NAU), 20 March 1991. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 19 April 2016.
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|377||Parent of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Parent of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...