|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||5 The Close|
Built on the site of a medieval barn and backing onto St Faith's Lane, this is a 17th century and later red brick former house, now offices, two storeys high with rendered dormer windows under a plain tile roof. Inside is a staircase hall with 17th century panelling and a stair with turned balusters.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23448 08721|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
February 1954. Listed, Grade II*.
On the site of the former Almoners Barn, now offices. 17th century red brick. Plain tile roof. Rendered dormers. L-shape plan. Two storeys, six bays. Left hand off-centred panelled door with moulded surround and 19th century hood. Sash windows with glazing bars to the left of door. Three-light 17th century window and door with plain surround at extreme right. Moulded brick stringcourse above ground floor remade to the left. Four sash windows with glazing bars to first floor left and two mullion and transom windows to the right, all with raised brick surrounds. Box gutter on iron brackets. Single storey two bay arm between two doors and at right-angles to the main block. Mullion and transom windows. Moulded cornice and hipped roof. Staircase hall with 17th century panelling and stair with turned balusters.
Information from (S1).
- BARN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 228. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1206349. |
|Mon 235||Parent of: 5 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 383||Parent of: 5 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 1932||Parent of: 5 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 2370||Parent of: 5 The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...