|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Holy Trinity Church, Stow Bardolph|
Holy Trinity Church has a tower base and part of the north wall dating to the Norman period, and there are traces of 13th century work. The church has a 14th century chancel arch and door, and the upper part of the tower and former porch are of Perpendicular style, possibly as late as 1509. The building was rebuilt by R. Brandon between 1848 and 1850, and the organ chamber in 1869. Brandon's work is an important early example of Gothic Revival. Of particular interest is the Hare Chapel of 1624, which contains a nationally important set of memorials to the Hare family, who held the manor here since 1557. The chapel contains a number of memorials as early as 1623, as well as the only remaining funerary wax effigy outside London (of Sarah Hare, d. 1743). The church of St Peter (NHER 2393) now holds a 15th century font that originated from this church.
|Grid Reference:||TF 6283 0564|
|Parish:||STOW BARDOLPH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
(S1) noted it as thatched, square tower: north chancel chapel. (S2) shows roof with two collars to every rafter couple, set high up, and two struts below them at a lower level. This roof is now replaced. (S3) refers to a crossed coffin slab here.
For detailed report of the Sarah Hare wax effigy, its conservation etc see (S4).
E. Rose 7 December 1987.
Norman tower base and part north wall, of conglomerate. Traces of 13th century work; 14th century chancel arch and door. Upper part of tower and former porch. Perpendicular, possibly as late as 1509. Tower buttresses 1589. Here Chapel 1624. Rebuilding by R. Brandon 1848-1850, organ chamber 1869. Brandon's work is an important early example of Gothic Revival. The Hare chapel contains a nationally important set of memorials 17th-19th century including the only remaining funerary wax effigy outside London.
See report (S5) and press cuttings (S6) and (S7) in secondary file.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 July 2000.
This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S8).
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 February 2006.
The wax effigy is of Sarah Hare, d. 1743, and is in a mahogany case close to her grave (S9).
D. Gurney (NLA), 14 April 2009.
- CHURCH (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Dashwood, G. H. 1852. Memoranda, accompanied with figures, of mural paintings lately detected in the church of Stow Bardolph. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol III pp 134-139. |
|---||Article in Serial: Gurney, H. 1852. Arms in Norwich Cathedral. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol III pp 241-244. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1904. Hundred of Clackclose. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XIII. pp 248-265. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 674; Pl 98. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. |
|<S2>||Publication: Branden, R. & Branden, J.A.. 1849. Open Timber Roofs of Middle Ages. pl.IV. |
|<S3>||Publication: Boutell, C.. 1854. Christian Monuments. |
|<S4>||Serial: 1987. SPAB news.. pp 14-16. |
|<S5>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. 2000. Building Survey. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. Spotlight on Sculpture. 15 September. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Church effigy recalls warning in village lore. 9 April. |
|<S8>||Publication: Jenkins, S. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches. |
|<S9>||Publication: This England. 1996. Wax Effigy. Spring 1996. |
Related records - none
Find out more...