Record Details

NHER Number:22885
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval mine shaft


A disused post medieval mine shaft has been recorded at this location. This feature was marked on an 1880 Ordnance Survey map and may relate to several flint mine shafts found in the adjacent Castle Street.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 8735 8293
Map Sheet:TL88SE

Full description

'Shaft (disused)'.
Marked on 1880 50in Ordnance Survey map (S1), north of the castle's outer bank, just west of a well at the south end of Thompson's Row (now demolished).
Note the number of chalk or flint mine shafts found in adjacent Castle Street. Some are dated to 16th/17th century - is this another example?
E. Rose (NAU) 9 September 1986.

This chalk mine may be roughly contemporary with other large-scale mines in the area, NHER 17501 and NHER 15111, as well as smaller medieval chalk pits at NHER 42852.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 22 July 2008.

Monument Types

  • DENE HOLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FLINT MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey Town Map: Thetford. 50 inch to 1 mile.

Related records

42852Related to: Medieval quarry pits and remains of post medieval public house (Monument)
17501Related to: Possible medieval or post medieval flint or chalk mine, garden of 30 Castle Street (Monument)
15111Related to: Post medieval dene hole, under 44 Castle Street (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service