|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||40 The Close|
A 17th century two storey flint and brick house with a central doorway and a single storey lean-to extension to the right.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23702 08876|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
February 1954. Listed, Grade II*.
Listing Description excerpt:
"House. 17th century. Flint with brick dressings and blockings, two storeys. Scattered fenestration."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current details.
Amended by H. Hamilton (HES), 8 November 2019.
Rim sherd found in garden. 15th century Low Countries.
W. Milligan (NCM).
1970s or 1980s. Norwich Survey.
See (S2) for ground floor plan.
T.E. Miller (NLA), 18 August 2004.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 229. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1372785. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|Site 946||Parent of: 40 The Close (Monument)|
|Site 2723||Parent of: 40 The Close (Monument)|
|Mon 636||Parent of: 40 The Close (Monument)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...