Record Details

NHER Number:21257
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval pumping station


This post medieval pumping station stands in Hillington Park (NHER 30512). It is a brick building with a stone slab roof and contains an iron water wheel and a pumping system. It is located at an angle in the Babingley River and pumped water to a reservoir which supplied Hillington Hall (NHER 3508).

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7239 2629
Map Sheet:TF72NW

Full description

April 1985. Visit.
Waterwheel. Brick building with stone slab roof, in two compartments, at angle of river. Iron water wheel in one compartment, has shaft to second compartment where large cog wheel turns smaller attached to three pistons, above which is ogival tank. Embossed EASTON & A..OS ENGINEERS LONDON and said to be over 100 years old. Pumped water to reservoir south of hall against road, from where the house was fed by gravity. Disused, but kept oiled.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 April 1985

A hydraulic ram from the park, made by Blakes, is in the collection of member of the public [1]. Not certain if it comes from this spot.
E. Rose (NLA), 12 August 1994.

Monument Types

  • HYDRAULIC RAM (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • PUMPING STATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.

Related records

30512Part of: Hillington Park (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service