Record Details

NHER Number:17419
Type of record:Building
Name:The Old Homestead, Eastgate Street


A probable 17th century and later two storey timber-framed roughcast house with a thatched roof. Inside are exposed timber beams. A Roman coin was found in the garden in 1981.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9902 2059
Map Sheet:TF92SE

Full description

July 1981. Found in garden of house in Eastgate Street during underpinning work.
As of Hadrian, AD 117-138. Obverse: head of Hadrian. Reverse: standing female figure. Too worn to identify further.
Identified by A. Gregory (NAU).
Information from P. Wade-Martins (NAU).
E. Rose (NAU), 23 July 1981.

The house itself is pre-second half of the 16th century with later upper floor and chimneystack.
See report (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 28 July 1981.

The owners of this property claimed that the deeds said the property had originally been a barn.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 May 1989.

This site was formerly wrongly numbered as NHER 14245.

Further parallels seen since 1981 probably indicate that this house is much later than previously suggested, perhaps 17th century. See annotation to report (S1) and photographs (S2) in file.
The coin is reported to have been lost again by the owners.
E. Rose (NLA), 16 June 2003.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BARN? (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report.
<S2>Photograph: BYT 27-8.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service