Record Details

NHER Number:17270
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Middle Saxon, Late Saxon and medieval coins


Metal detecting has recovered a silver Middle Saxon sceat, a Late Saxon coin from the reign of Cnut, two medieval English coins and a medieval Polish coin.

Images - none


Grid Reference:Not displayed
Map Sheet:TL88SE

Full description

Formerly in Kilverstone parish, now in Thetford.

1981. Metal detecting at [1].
Sceatta (compare with example in (S1)).
Identified by M. Archibald (British Museum) 23 February 1981.
S. Margeson (NCM) May 1981.

Between 1982 (start of housing estate) and 1985. Same general area as sceatta.
Presumed metal detecting finds.
Short Cross penny of Cnut, Hildegard H.
Cut half-penny of Stephen, profile/cross and piles types, see (S2) for comparison.
Henry II Tealby type penny, see (S3) for comparison.
Polish billon tenarus of Wladislaus Jagiello (1386-1434), Cracow mint, see (S4) for comparison.
Mentioned in (S5), copy in file.
A. Gregory (NAU), 18 November 1986.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
  • COIN (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Article in Serial: 1952-1954. [unknown]. British Numismatic Journal. Series 3, Vol 27. p 71.
<S2>Publication: North, J. J. 1963. English Hammered Coins. No 879.
<S3>Publication: North, J. J. 1963. English Hammered Coins. Nos 656-657.
<S4>Publication: Gumowski, M.. 1960. Handbuch der polnischen Numismatik. No 414.
<S5>Article in Serial: 1984. [unknown]. British Numismatic Journal. Vol 54, p 71.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service