Record Details

NHER Number:14143
Type of record:Building
Name:Mundesley House (formerly The Rookery), Water Lane


An early 19th century two storey brick and flint house with a five window bay façade and a late 19th century projecting central bay. The left hand gable wall has a datestone of 1603 or 4.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3110 3606
Map Sheet:TG33NW

Full description

October 1978. Visit.
Rear and sides of flint.
On west, a stone plaque '1604 IH…'
South façade of brick, Queen Anne style, five bays, two storeys.
Central projecting porch tower with scrolls beside window is an addition of the first part of the 19th century.
Flint thatched barn on west.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 October 1978.

However listed building description Grade II 1988 (S1) says date plaque is 1603 not 1604, dates rest of house to early 19th century and porch tower to late 19th century. Needs checking.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 August 1989.

1990 called Mundesley House. See press cutting (S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 August 1990.

Press cutting (S2) and architectural plan (S3) (1997) in file.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 619.
---Unpublished Document: Yardley, C. J. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project. p 17.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049810.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1990-1991. [Sale advertisements for Mundesley House, Mundesley].
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service