Record Details

NHER Number:14141
Type of record:Building
Name:Post medieval brick kiln

Summary

An early 19th century brick kiln, circular in plan with a conical tower. It has its original entrance and a sunken entrance to the stoke hole. Windows were inserted in the 20th century and it is now used as an office.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 3033 3746
Map Sheet:TG33NW
Parish:MUNDESLEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Brick kiln, now in Kiln Cliffs Caravan Site.
About 6m high, conical, bound with iron bands now breaking off.
Round-arched deep doorway at ground level, and sunken entrance to stoke-hole.

Has been converted to a house some time early this century - windows and clock set in cone, door altered, stoke hole made into conservatory. Now apparently a tool shed. Base much overgrown.

Opposite, the 'market' is the old drying shed with a pantile roof.
Probably early 19th century. Poor condition.

Carved Perpendicular cross base, presumably the one dug up in the churchyard, stands by door.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 October 1978.

February 1988. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Brick kiln, now used as an office. Early 19th century. Brick. Circular in plan. Conical tower, complete to top. Original entrance and sunken entrance to stoke hole. Windows inserted in 20th century and a clock placed on east face.
Information from (S1).

Other medieval stonework stands around.
See file for further details.
A. Gregory (NAU), June 1983.

This is believed to be the only surviving 'haystack' kiln in the county, a type once common in northeast Norfolk, and thus of considerable importance. The clock is said to have come from the old railway station.
E. Rose (NAU), 10 August 1987.

January 2005. Norfolk NMP.
The brick kiln described above and associated structures and earthworks are visible on aerial photographs taken from 1940 to 2002. The kiln itself is particularly clear on photographs taken in 1952 and 1953 (S2 to 3).
S. Tremlett (NMP), 6 January 2005.

8 August 2019. Field visit.
A site visit by [1] could find no trace of the carved Perpendicular cross base observed by E. Rose in October 1978. Further research by [1]and consultation with the managers of the site could not locate the cross. Photographs and records of the site dating back to the early 20th century also contains no evidence of the cross at the site.
A. Beckham (HES), 4 October 2019.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRICK KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 618.
---Unpublished Document: Yardley, C. J. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project. p 16.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: BDD 1.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1049809.
<S2>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1952. RAF 540/690 5101-2 11-MAR-1952 (NMR).
<S3>Oblique Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1953. NHER TG 3037E (RAF 58/1006 0326) 04-FEB-1953.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service