Record Details

NHER Number:13592
Type of record:Monument
Name:King's Lynn Dock Railway


This docks railway opened in 1849, running from the station through the docks and Fisher Fleet. The railway is still mostly in use, though the branch to the Hunstanton line is now abandoned and in 1992 was reportedly used as a ropewalk. There was a station at Gaywood Road, part of the Lynn and Massingham railway opened in 1879, and one was proposed called Austin Street but apparently never opened.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6214 2085
Map Sheet:TF62SW

Full description

Opened 1849, still mostly in use.
From station to Docks and Fisher Fleet, also branch to Hunstanton line now abandoned and used as ropewalk.
There was a station at Gaywood Road, and one was proposed called Austin Street but apparently never opened.
Information from M&GNR railway circle.
E. Rose (NLA), 9 April 1992

In fact the branch from Gaywood was half of the original route of the Lynn and Massingham railway into King's Lynn, and was opened in 1879 connecting with the original dock line.
See (S1) in file which gives evidence for the Austin Street station, though the location is still obscure.
E. Rose (NLA), 24 August 1992.

There seems to be confusion above with King's Lynn Harbour railway (NHER 13593), which did open in 1849. The Dock Railway in fact opened considerably later than this (S2). (S3) explains that the Act of Parliament which created the King's Lynn Docks & Railway Company authorised an extension of the Harbour branch line to serve the new (Alexandra) dock. This extension required the construction of a swing bridge across the Purfleet. This extension proved impractical and too costly, so permission was sought to abandon this scheme. In 1869 a new Act of Parliament permitted the creation of an alternative line serving the docks from a junction within the Great Eastern Railway, near to King's Lynn station. This line was completed in 1870.
See (S3) for further details.
A. Cattermole (King's Lynn UAD), 3 February 2020.

Monument Types

  • RAILWAY (19th Century to 21st Century - 1849 AD? to 2100 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. The forgotten Lynn station. 21 August.
<S2>Monograph: Adderson, R. & Kenworthy, G.. 2000. Ely to Kings Lynn: Including the Stoke Ferry Branch.
<S3>Monograph: Fell, M.. 2012. An Illustrated History of the Port of King's Lynn and its Railways. pp 47-50.

Related records

62898Parent of: Former crossing keeper's cottage, 174 Loke Road (Building)
63570Related to: Alexandra Dock (Monument)
63571Related to: Bentinck Dock (Monument)
51301Related to: King's Lynn Railway Station, Blackfriars Road (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service