|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Statue of Hercules|
A statue of Hercules, made by the sculptor Nicholas Stone in 1632 for the gardens at Oxnead Hall, see NHER 3552. The statue was moved to Blickling after the Oxnead estate was sold in the early 18th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 1646 2824|
|Parish:||BLICKLING, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
Statue of Hercules marked here on (S1). Then in centre of wood.
This statue is now in the Orangery; it came from Oxnead Hall and was made by Nicholas Stone 1632, see (S2).
Statue moved to Blickling when Oxnead was sold in 1732.
S. Spooner (NLA) August 2005
- STATUE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Unpublished Contractor Report: Penn, K. 2008. Blickling Estate, An Archaeological and Historical Landscape Survey. NAU Archaeology. 1399. |
|<S1>||Map: 1840. Blickling Tithe map and award. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 406. |
|30433||Part of: Blickling Park (Monument)|
|45935||Part of: The Orangery (Building)|
Find out more...