|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval tower windmill|
Originally two post medieval windmills stood here, however one was demolished and the other converted to a tower mill in 1840. This tower mill was last used in 1892 before being transformed into a house in 1927. This house is attached on the east side of the brick tower which stands six storeys high. The cap of the tower would once have accommodated six sails.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7057 4162|
|Parish:||RINGSTEAD, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of two windmills marked on (S1).
Southern postmill replaced by tower mill 1840; body of postmill taken away to become the Thornham Composite (NHER 1341).
Tower mill last used 1892, converted to house 1927.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.
Present tower mill of header bond gault brick, six storeys plus cap (now roofed in asbestos). Door to south, five windows above one with rampant lion crest. Five openings to north, four to south, east with loft door and one window.
Brick eaves cornice, wooden shuttered skirt, metal canister for six sails.
1927 house is attached on east.
Information from (S2).
E. Rose (NAU) 12 March 1984.
Press cutting (S3) in file
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 74 SW 20. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 614-615. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342270. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1989. Mill repairs. 8 August. |
|1341||Parent of: The Thornham Composite (Monument)|
Find out more...