Record Details

NHER Number:1341
Type of record:Monument
Name:The Thornham Composite


A mill is shown at this site of Bryant's map of 1826. In 1880 the body of a windmill from Ringstead (NHER 1343) was re-erected on the site and was last used in 1896. The brick base of the windmill is still standing.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7283 4380
Map Sheet:TF74SW

Full description

Windmill (disused).
Base alone survives - Ordnance Survey.
E. Rose (NAU)

Photographs in NAU show demolition of the post mill which apparently had common sails, and removal of windshaft to Bridewell Museum.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 August 1981.

The Thornham Composite.
First mill on site shown on (S1). In 1880 the body of the mill at Ringstead (NHER 1343) was brought here via Beacon Hill and erected on a roundhouse, with curb instead of post. Last used 1896.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.

Remains now consist only of brick base about 2m high with iron ties protruding from top, and blocked door.
E. Rose (NAU) April 1987.

Monument Types

  • WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 74 SW 21.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Photograph: BVK.
<S1>Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.

Related records

1343Part of: Post medieval tower windmill (Building)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service