|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||The Guildhall, Market Place|
The present guildhall of 1901 stands on the site of several predecessors, with the original guildhall having been constructed in 1337. It was built by H. J. Green from gault brick with stone dressings and has a slate roof with a central polygonal cupola. It has two statues which come from the earlier buildings of 1690 and 1799, including a Coade stone statue of Justice.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8717 8300|
|Parish:||THETFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
The present guildhall of 1903 stands on the site of a predecessor of 1680.
Information from Bolingbroke Collection.
March 1971. Listed, Grade II.
Guildhall. 1901. By H. J. Green, L-shaped, two storeys and dormers, gault brick with stone dressings, slate roof with central polygonal cupola. Convex porch in angle of wings. Three large gables on main block with Venetian windows; subsidiary wing with round-headed windows between Tuscan columns. Large court with barrel vault and Coade stone statue of Justice, small court with panelled bench.
See (S1) for the complete listing details
E. Rose (NLA), 29 March 1994.
The listing (S1) dates the guildhall to 1901 rather than 1903.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 March 1994.
(S2) states that there are two statues, these come from earlier buildings of 1690 and 1799, the latter is the Coade stone one. The original guildhall was of 1337, converted into a common hall in 1573.
E. Rose (NLA), 27 September 2004.
(S3) states that in 1799-1780 the Guildhall was almost entirely rebuilt. The previous structure was largely medieval, in black flint, with substantial additions made in the 1680s. Further alterations were proposed in 1797, but preliminary investigations revealed that parts of the existing structure were unsafe. As a result most was reconstructed, with the provision of a new council chamber and courthouse, and the building of a cupola and clock tower. Only a century later, in 1901-2, it was found that the late 18th century foundations and workmanship were also defective, and another virtual reconstruction was required.
The workhouse serving the three parishes of Thetford was situated in the basement of the guildhall until the 1760s.
Information from (S3).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 5 August 2008.
Planning permission granted to allow expansion of the Thetford Dad's Army Museum from its current location in the old garage and office into an adjoining basement room. Minor internal works are proposed.
See (S4) and (S5) for further details
H. White (NLA), 7 April 2009
- GUILDHALL (14th Century to 18th Century - 1337 AD to 1799 AD)
- WORKHOUSE (17th Century to 18th Century - 1700 AD? to 1769 AD?)
- COURT HOUSE (18th Century to Early 20th Century - 1799 AD to 1901 AD)
- GUARDHOUSE (18th Century to Early 20th Century - 1799 AD to 1901 AD)
- GUILDHALL (18th Century to Early 20th Century - 1799 AD to 1901 AD)
- COURT ROOM (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
- GUILDHALL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 711; Pl 119. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1207867. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Graham, C.. 2003. Ordering law: the architectural and social history of the English law court.. p 411. |
|<S3>||Monograph: Crosby, A.. 1986. A History of Thetford.. 2. pp 87, 92; Pl 6. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: The Dad's Army Museum. 2009. Design and Access Statement. The Thetford Dad's Army Museum, The Guildhall, Thetford. |
|<S5>||Designation: Listed Building Consent. |
Related records - none
Find out more...