Record Details

NHER Number:12342
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of Hingham Rectory


This was a large 18th century painted brick house set in extensive grounds, with 19th century extensions and a porch. The building was derelict and partly demolished in 1976, and despite plans for conversion and repair, became so unsafe that it was demolished in the early 1980s. A new housing development has now been built on the site.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 0200 0210
Map Sheet:TG00SW

Full description

Large 18th century brick house with central pediment, extended in 19th century and porch added.

November 1975. RCHME Survey.
Derelict at time of survey.
See (S1).

Kitchen wing demolished.

Remainder of house demolished.

1983. 'Foundations' reported in building new houses on site.
From (S2) these seem to be those of the kitchens which were demolished in 1976.
E. Rose (NAU) 31 October 1983.

Press cuttings (S3) and (S4), Council planning appeal submissions (S5), and letter from South Norfolk District Council (S6) in file.

For coach house and entrance see NHER 41206 and 7.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 February 2005.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: RCHME. 1975. Building Survey.
<S2>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Rectory damage causes problems for builder. 25 March.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Demolition of rectory 'with regret'. 22 April.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Chief Planning Officer. 1979. Statement of Submission by South Norfolk District Council.
<S6>Correspondence: Chief Planning Officer, South Norfolk District Council.. 1983. Letter to E. Rose. 27 October.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service